When Dimple Met Rishi || ARC REVIEW

Author: Sandhya Menon Series: Standalone Published: 30th May 2017 Genres: Young adult, Contemporary Format: E-ARC Source: Netgalley

────────────────────────────
Synopsis
Dimple Shah has it all figured out. With graduation behind her, she’s more than ready for a break from her family, from Mamma’s inexplicable obsession with her finding the “Ideal Indian Husband.” Ugh. Dimple knows they must respect her principles on some level, though. If they truly believed she needed a husband right now, they wouldn’t have paid for her to attend a summer program for aspiring web developers…right? 

Rishi Patel is a hopeless romantic. So when his parents tell him that his future wife will be attending the same summer program as him—wherein he’ll have to woo her—he’s totally on board. Because as silly as it sounds to most people in his life, Rishi wants to be arranged, believes in the power of tradition, stability, and being a part of something much bigger than himself. 

The Shahs and Patels didn’t mean to start turning the wheels on this “suggested arrangement” so early in their children’s lives, but when they noticed them both gravitate toward the same summer program, they figured, Why not? 

Dimple and Rishi may think they have each other figured out. But when opposites clash, love works hard to prove itself in the most unexpected ways.
────────────────────────────
My Rating
────────────────────────────
My Review
How do I even start this review...my emotions went through it I swear. 

This was one of my most anticipated releases for the year. I'd heard amazing things about it so when I saw it on Netgalley I immediately requested it. I actually requested it twice...one for British readers and one for American readers. Is that allowed? Who knows? But I did it. I actually got approved for the American readers I think, even though I'm British...weird right?

Anyhow. I adored this book. It was beyond cute, everything that happened just made me love the characters so much. One aspect I really loved was how Indian culture was represented throughout the book. I can't comment on how accurate it was but I really enjoyed reading it. I appreciated how the author continuously showed the readers aspects on Indian culture, that I for one would never have known about. A lot of times you'll read about an 'Indian' character, and then that's as far as it goes. There's no real representation of their culture, just the fact that the author's told you the character is Indian is meant to be enough. However, that 100000% wasn't the case in this book. Sandhya Menon did such an amazing job.

There wasn't a strong plot in this book because it was extremely character driven. There is a little plot of course but mainly it's all about Dimple and Rishi, which doesn't bother me in the slightest. I really love character driven books so this was perfect. I actually did enjoy the little plot it did have as well though. I loved that they were at a coding summer programme because that's so unique to me. I don't think I've ever read about a coder, particularly a girl coder. It was such a breath of fresh air! 

The characters in this book...oh my lord I love them so much. Let's start with Dimple. She was so headstrong and determined. She wanted to be a coder and despite her Mamma encouraging her to get a husband and such, she was in no rush to do anything other than what she wanted to do. She was extremely career focused and I think she's a great role model. 

Then there's Rishi. Who I think I might be in love with. He was so unbelievably sweet and patient, but at the same time he wasn't afraid to stand up for himself and other people. He was fiercely loyal, and I loved that. Not to mention that Dimple and Rishi together = HILARIOUS. Honestly, I laughed so much through this book. Not in the 'haha' little chuckle kind of way either. More in the 'OMG, HAHAHAHAH' way...

This book just had it all for me. I went into it expecting a really cute, diverse contemporary. And while I did get that, it was also so much more. I don't think I could even begin to fully describe every aspect of this book because it's just unexplainable. It's something you need to read to really appreciate. So you should just go read this ASAP ok? Ok cool.
Have you read this book? Or do you want to? Any other recommendations for me? Let me know in the comments!

No comments