Discussion || Series or Standalone?

As an avid bookwork I of course love all variety of books. I will always read standalone books and I will always read books in a series. However, that doesn't mean I can't love one more than the other...


So let's start with standalone's...
Standalones are of course amazing, precious gems. There is no better feeling than starting a book and knowing that all your questions and queries will be answered by the end of that book because...well they have to be right? Majority of the time standalones are wrapped up into neat little buns and I LOVE that. However, sometimes you read a standalone and it's all going well, great even. Until boom, end of book, and your craving for more. You love the characters, the plot, you don't want it to end but it has, and there's nothing you can do about it...

Which leads me onto series...
Series. I have a love-hate relationship with them. They give you the chance to really become invested in a book, particularly fantasy books. I love that I can become engrossed in the world and go on a journey with characters, I get to see their development and I get to learn everything about a fantasy world, but there's a downside too. I have the WORST memory. If I'm going to read a series, I need to wait for all the books to be out so I can read them in fairly quick succession. This can obviously become quite annoying when everyone's talking about a book they love from a series and I'm sat hiding in a corner desperately trying to avoid spoilers.
So overall, I think you need a mix of the two to have a balanced reading habit. However...I think I do slightly favour standalone's. Series can just be so intimidating, especially when they have 5+ books. I mean, how am I supposed to read all those books! Anyway, what do you think? Do you prefer standalone's or series?

No comments